“I didn’t have any fear” – Petr Cech opens up on that head injury

It has been 15 years now since Petr Cech suffered an awful head injury whilst playing in goal for Chelsea.

It was back in 2006 in the first minute of a Premier League fixture at Reading, and he was involved in a collision that left him with a depressed skull fracture.

We all naturally feared the worst and it was a very tense time when medics came and seen to him, as was the aftermath as he went off to Hospital.

It would be amazing if you guys subscribed for my project over at Si & Dan Talk Chelsea, where we are putting out so much Chelsea content including DAILY Newsletters, exclusive news, breaking news, Podcasts, interviews, inside information, and bringing in some massive guests!

He underwent surgery immediately and had two metal plates put in his head.

Just three months later he was back on the pitch sporting a helmet, the head gear that soon became iconic for our legendary goalkeeper.

He has been speaking about that time in his latest column on the Chelsea website, and he says that he ‘didn’t have any fear’ when he started playing again, remarkably.

Cech said:

“I have to say the first time I came back to training, I just dived in at people’s feet. I didn’t have any fear or apprehension. I realised you can get injured without even thinking about it.

“Whatever happens on that pitch happens fast, and can happen any time. You know the threat is real, but I accepted it and just got on with it.

“With the helmet, I knew I was protected. It wouldn’t ever stop me getting concussion, but it did protect the majority of the impact.

“As soon as I knew the surgeon was okay for me to go back to full, 100 per cent training, literally the next day I played. I had one session with the team. Until that point I had to train on my own, but I was so fit and ready to go.

“I said to myself, I will do everything that is possible to continue playing the game I loved. I set my mind and targets on that. I never asked myself ‘what if?’.

“I put all my energy into doing the right thing, with the guidance of the medical team. Together, with the support of my family and friends, I managed to get through it and end up on the pitch much faster than everybody expected.

“When you try your best, you give yourself a chance. All the support, all the medical care from the club and the medical team at the Oxford hospital, that was the key for me to come back.”